Concept2 RowErg Rower (Previously Model D & E) with PM5 Console
Concept 2 Black Model D RowErg with PM5. Minimal use, only a handful of times for very short periods. As new.
Table of Contents
Concept2 RowErg Review
The Concept2 RowErg is the new name for the infamous Concept2 Model D & Model E rowing machines.
Even after the name change, it’s still rated as the best rowing machine for 2023.
How Does the Concept2 RowErg Differ from the Concept2 Model D & Model E?
Those who’ve done any rowing machine research will have heard of the Concept 2 Model D.
This rowing machine has been regarded as the best rower money can buy for years.
You might have noticed that the name has now changed. Previously, the Concept2 range included 2 models – the Model D and Model E. The only difference was the seat height.
The Model D offered a seat height of 14″, while the Model E provided 20″.
Concept2 states on its website that they have streamlined its product range. By doing so, they have combined the two popular products into one.
When purchasing the RowErg, you will notice two options to choose from – often listed as Standard and Tall. As you might expect, the Tall option is the 20″ seat height version and is a little more expensive.
The final difference is that the taller version is manufactured with larger caster wheels.
You might ask yourself why the different height options if everything else is the same.
Concept2 also answer this on their website. They state the following:
- As a matter of taste, some people prefer the taller machine’s appearance.
- The tall version’s added height might be easier for some users to get on and off.
- Some commercial facilities may opt for the taller version for better visibility in the gym.
What Customers Think of the Concept2 Model D RowErg
The Concept2 RowErg is hands down, the most popular rowing machine today, according to customer ratings.
In total, we discovered 12,325 online user reviews. This incredible rowing machine scored a jaw-dropping 4.92 out of 5, with only a tiny number of people giving it less than 5 stars.
- The RowErg is a sturdy machine – it’s easy to understand why it appears in so many commercial gyms across the globe.
- It provides fantastic connectivity and options to save workout data.
- Customers were pleased with the straightforward assembly.
- Many helpful videos on YouTube and Fitness Savvy help users get the most out of the machine.
- The heavy 10 lb flywheel means you’ll experience a quiet and smooth workout.
- The nickel-plated steel chain requires less maintenance.
- A wide range of routines – from beginner to advanced, light or intense.
- Spare parts are readily available, so keeping the machine in top working order is easy.
- A minor drawback is that black marks can appear on the rail where the seat rollers contact it.
- Interactivity options are not as good as other options, such as NordicTrack and ProForm’s iFit.
How Does the Concept2 RowErg Compare With Other Rowing Machines?
One of the most important things to consider before buying a rowing machine is its comparison with other options.
To make it fair, you should compare it with other products in the same price category. As you might expect, more expensive rowers come with extra features.
The Concept2 RowErg falls within the £500 – £999 price budget (getting a little more expensive for the tall version – at about £1,150 at the time of writing).
You might notice that each rower on our website has a Savvy Score. We calculate this by combining the customers’ overall ratings with our expert technical score.
Our rating accounts for the rower features based on the price. For example, the product weight (a lighter rower is more desirable), the resistance levels, monitor size, maximum user weight, and whether it’s foldable.
The RowErg scored an exceptional 9.9 out of 10 and is the number one ranked rower in the world. The only thing letting it down is the small monitor, which, compared with the large 22″ on the NordicTrack RW900 is sub-standard.
Below is an image comparing the key features of the Concept2 RowErg (referred to as the Model D in this image) with the current top 4 rowers in the UK.
You can also compare the features of all rowing machines in this table.
My Experience With the Concept2 RowErg
Regarded as the standard for indoor training, competitive rowers swear by this immense machine.
However, this cardio machine is not designed strictly for professionals and Olympic-level athletes: with its compact size, and excellent price point, it is a fantastic alternative to exercise bikes and treadmills for your home gym.
So, what makes the Concept2 Rowing Machine so awesome? Well, here are my thoughts after testing this rowing machine.
The USB-compatible, backlit PM5 adjustable monitor provides vital data like most other rowing machines. However, it feels inferior compared with the large HD monitors on NordicTrack and ProForm Fitness products.
If interactive training and HD word locations are your thing, you should consider the NordicTrack RW600 or RW900. The RW900 has better specs but is more expensive (falling in the £1,000 – £1,999 bracket). That said, the RW600 has similar specs with a smaller monitor (10″ vs 22″), but at 10″, it is still more than enough, according to most customer reviews – and I agree with their sentiment.
It is worth noting that to maximize the benefits of NordicTrack products, you will require an iFit subscription. This costs £104 for an individual annual subscription (at the time of writing), which should factor into your price.
Mobility & Storage
The RowErg’s compact size is one of its attractive features. I found the quick-release frame lock mechanism (which separates into two pieces for storage) easy to use but not as simple as other rowers, which fold and wheel away. Most rowers are foldable nowadays, and technology is improving across the board.
It’s also worth noting that the standard and tall versions have different weights and storage dimensions. The tall version will take up a little more space and is heavier to move. The table below illustrates the difference in dimensions, storage dimensions, and product weight.
Ergonomic Handle & Adjustable Footrests
Accommodating a wide range of shoe sizes, the adjustable footrests allow for quick and easy positioning. My feet are not large (size 10), yet I found the machine comfortable and would expect no issues for those with large feet. The Concept2 RowErg also includes an ergonomic handle, which I found more comfortable than other rowers I have tested.
Flywheel & Damper
Users can change the airflow to the 10 lb flywheel with the spiral dampener control.
Even minor adjustments helped me to find the perfect feel. While many reviews state that the Model D/RowErg is quiet, I found it noisier than other similarly priced alternatives.
If quietness is the most important to you, we can recommend the RW900. But don’t just take my word for it – one customer said it was suitable even with a sleeping baby next door, and another said he used it at 4 am with no complaints.
It took me just 25 minutes from delivery to set the RowErg up. It only has eight screws, along with easy-to-understand instructions.
Durable & Easy to Maintain
Oiling fitness equipment chains can be a nuisance – especially for people who struggle with hands-on maintenance (that’s me). The RowErg chains nickel plating removes this chore. Not only does it reduce oiling regularity, but it also retains a smooth ride.
Concept2 also stocks plenty of spare parts, so repairing and maintaining the RowErg is as simple as possible.
Alternative Rowing Machines Under £1000
You’ll find a huge selection of rowing machines under £1000 at Fitness Savvy. Check out the alternatives below to find the best rowing machine.
Concept 2 Rower Model D Specs
- Seat height: 36 cm/14″ (standard); 51 cm/20″ (tall)
- Air resistance: adjustable with a spiral dampener
- Foldable: separates into two for easy storage
- Heart rate monitoring: compatible with popular wireless heart rate monitors (ANT+ and Bluetooth Smart)
- Workouts: includes pre-set workouts so you can start right away
- Adjustable footrests: ensures a comfortable workout for people of all sizes
- Ergonomic handles: 10-degree bend for a natural rowing action
- Accessories: Performance Monitor Quick Start Guide; USD Flash Drive
- Product weight: 26 kg (standard) 31 kg (tall)
- Powder-coated finish
- Nickel-plated chain: low maintenance and more durable
- 4.3kg flywheel
- Max. user weight: 227 kg (500 lbs)
- Dimensions (standard) 244 x 61 x 36 cm (L x W x H)
- Dimensions (tall) 244 x 61 x 51 cm (L x W x H)
- Storage dimensions (standard): 64 x 84 x 138 cm (L x W x H)
- Storage dimensions (tall): 69 x 120 x 138 cm (L x W x H)
- Warranty: This product comes with a 5 year frame warranty and 2 years on the Performance Monitor and moving parts for home and light commercial use.
Concept 2 User Manual
Alternative Rowing Machines
You can check out reviews and ratings of rowing machines at Fitness Savvy. Compare features and prices and find the right bag for your goals.
Specification: Concept2 RowErg Rower (Previously Model D & E) with PM5 Console