Biceps still super sore today. Hoping they are recovered before pull day tomorrow. Today is push day again. Looking to “push” myself to the absolute limit.
I wasn’t joking when I said I would push myself to the absolute limit. I don’t think I have ever done a proper upper-body workout until now – seriously. Rest time between sets for German Volume Training should be 60-90 seconds. I have been going for 60 seconds. Until now. After set 6 on the bench press, and set 4 on shoulder press, I increased rest to the maximum 90 seconds allowance.
- Bench Press. 9 sets of 10. 55kg. Last set only managed 9. Rep 9 was almost failure. You’re not supposed to go to failure with this high-volume routine, so I stopped short of final rep, as I wasn’t sure I would even manage it. As mentioned, 60 seconds rest between sets until after set 6.
- Overhead Shoulder Press. 10 sets of 10. 25kg. Rest period increased to 90 seconds after set 4.
Fasted until 3 pm. As usual, had black coffee and 10g BCAA during this time. 18 hour fast, in total.
After my workout I consumed:
- 100 grams cashew nuts
- 1.5 scoops of casein protein (41 grams)
- 3 slices of garlic bread I found at my mum’s. It would have gone to waste if I hadn’t eaten it, so there.
In the evening:
- Cheese on toast (5 slices of wholemeal bread – 68 calories per slice – with cheddar cheese
- 1.5 scoops of casein before bed
Total calories = 2,552
Last Night’s Sleep
Went to bed at 1 am. Up at 2 am to the baby, then up at 7 am. 5.5 hours sleep, interrupted once. Had a 2-hour nap after my workout, so 7.5 hours total sleep.
As I said, biceps still hurt from 2 days ago. I can safely say this is the sorest they’ve ever been.
Got some extra sleep after my workout, with a tummy full of protein and calories which I believe probably negates the interruptions from last night. The most intense workout I think I have ever done, so full marks for that. Ate some white bread with the garlic bread, which I was not happy about. Kept to my fast. 9/10